Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I'm Back!

I'm back. Did you miss me? The trip was great lots of sunshine and deck chairs. Lots of fatty foods and frozen drinks. And the crowning glory , child care! Ahh that was the life.

But now I am back and normal life comes flying at you faster than a baby on a greased sit and spin.

So to really get a good does of reality I went to sign up for driving lessons. It was a brave move on my part since I've never been comfortable with the idea of driving. I always crash those electronic driving game into the wall or run someone over in the first two minutes. But I made a promise to myself that I will learn how to drive in the next three months. So I swallowed my fear and went to sign up at the driving school. Of course I asked lots of questions like are their duel controls for me and the driver? Will the teacher yell at me? How many people crash while learning?

The woman was very nice and answered all of my questions and then said to me:

I know how hard it is for middle aged woman to learn how to drive? Middle aged woman always ask questions like that.

WHAT?!?!

WHAT DID SHE SAY!?!

MIDDLE AGED WOMAN! ME? WHAT THE...!?!

Suddenly my fear of driving was the least of my worries I was now a middle aged woman. I guess I saw it coming people no longer calling me miss and the dreaded Ma'am rearing its ugly head. The reduction of cat calls while passing construction sites. The rechecking if its mammogram time at the doc. It all lead here to the first time I have been called middle aged.

Suddenly there I was a middle aged woman standing in a driving school. It was awful it was unpleasant and worst of all it was the truth (I think how old is middle aged anyway? Isn't it 50 now. I mean jeepers I'm only 39! Still a spring chicken still in my thirties at least for another few months. Whats wrong with that chick anyway who says things like that! That's it I'm taking my toys and going home!)

I should have never come back from vacation.

21 comments:

Ali said...

She was entirely out of order. It's hard to learn to drive any time. Go you for doing it. I couldn't be without a car!

honeypiehorse said...

Ouch. But don't worry. 40 is the new 25.

Tay said...

I never assume anybody's age. Too risky. But I'm glad you're back to tell us your driving adventures!

Helen said...

Not to fret little one ... I am approaching 70 WAY too fast and firmly believe 70 is the new 45! So that makes you somewhere in your late teens!

Good luck behind the wheel ...

Unknown said...

OMGosh! We are going through the same mid-life crisis, LOL! I just emailed someone with a phrase in there stating a similar question...do you know what that is like for a middle-aged...

YIKES! I've gotten OLD! LOL!

Adrienne said...

I'm envying your age and your weeklong vacation...
Welcome back!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Goodness! And I thought "ma'am" was bad.

April said...

And how old was this woman? Oh, she'll get hers one day, fear not!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Just off your vacation and this! A slap in the face. She needs to hush her mouth. Middle aged is 50, to me at least.

Tina said...

what the hell who says that!? how rude!

welcome back anyway mate. look forward to seeing your pics and hearing your stories ;)

Rebecca Ramsey said...

You ARE a spring chicken.
Blame it on the fact that her brain is addled after too many driving lessons.
I think you're brave. Like Wonder GIRL!

Annie said...

You are NOT middle aged.

You should have just done the mature thing and stuck your tounge out at her to prove it.

honeywine said...

39 is NOT middle age! I refuse to allow that! Dammit, I'm only 2 years behind you and I'll be damned if I'm going to be middle aged!!!

namaste said...

i'm 43 and still consider myself a young pup, so i wouldn't worry if i were you.

welcome back!

Anonymous said...

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha! That is hilarious! You are so not middle age. Middle age has been hiked up to 50. You have a few years. Now let's go flatten her tires.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

glad you had such a good time.

Anonymous said...

Did you hit the lady with your cane? You should have. The whipper-snapper.

The Mrs. said...

glad your back! Enjoy driving class, just think, at least you can buy alcohol legally, not many in drivers class can say that. Although don't take it to class with you, that would be illegal and awkward.

Anonymous said...

Hey NEXT year think of it as 30-11 and the year after 30-12... and 30-13 and 30-14... YOU NEVER HAVE TO COME OUTA YOUR 30's !

So now I'm 30-31.... how'd I get so old soooo fast...

I used to have an older sister and a younger sister... NOW I HAVE TWO OLDER SISTERS ! ! !

Stop the world I wanna get off!

Maria said...

PLEASSSSSSEEEE, 40 is sooooo young isn't? It's not old anymore. I am thrilled you're back and had a good time. Good luck on the driving lessons!

Forgetfulone said...

IMHO - you are NoT middle age yet!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing