Monday, April 13, 2009

Grandpa's House

I just came back from a few days in Philly visiting my folks with the kids for Passover (my favorite holiday!). For little B it is better than Disney Land. He and his Grandpa spend hours jumping on the bed and causing mayhem in the house. He believes his Grandpa is 4 years old and just an over sized kid (maybe he has some glandular problem that makes him so tall but B is just too polite to ask) and a great play mate.

The trip always ends with B saying can we please stay here forever?

I love this relationship It is sweet and wonderful and it makes my heart swell with love for both of them but no matter what by the time we leave B has infected my (not four year old father) with something awful. B sniffles and slimes on his grandpa and this time he even threw up on him. So its not surprise that as we leave my father sniffs not only with remorse at seeing his little play mate leave but with the first symptoms of the tropical illness B has infected him with.

My Dad is in his 70's although he's a strapping guy he's eligible for free bus rides and discount movie tickets. Age does not make these icky childhood illnesses any fun at all. So I have the impulse to wrap B is plastic wrap and fit my father with a plastic bubble so I would not have to wait for my mom to call and say the inevitable.

Your father is sick....he's not a young man you know.... (insert pause for guilt and foot taping)

So when B asks Can we stay here forever the answer is no you little pattrie dish! Not this year. Now get your finger out of your nose!

18 comments:

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Sounds like my son and my father!

Queen-Size funny bone said...

its always nice to go home. But I also enjoy leaving.

Susan said...

You need to have your blog made into a book (there are sites for this), so Little B will know all about his early childhood. It would be much better than a baby book.

Glad you had fun and glad you are back. Take care. Susan

Vered said...

I'm sure your dad thinks it's totally worth it!

namaste said...

that's a beautiful relationship to see with your dad and son. so awesome.

:)

Vodka Mom said...

happy passover, Suzie........

Rebecca Ramsey said...

How sweet! My middle son once told me that when he grew up he wanted to live with my parents. I LOVE that. I bet your dad doesn't mind the germs. It's funny how things change with grandkids. My parents are a lot more tolerant of my kids' shenanigans then they ever were with mine!

Happy Passover!

Debbie said...

How great that you are so wise to enjoy him now. My FIL had a heart attack today. Puts it all in perspective.

Sue said...

I hope to heck you snuck out a got that hoagie? Not Passover food I know but you sure as heck deserve it anyway

Valarie Lea said...

Maybe if you got them both full surgical outfits to play in?

honeypiehorse said...

That's totally sweet. And I'm sure your dad wouldn't trade for the world.

MrsM said...

I love watching my parents with my kids. There's something really cool about that-plus it sounds like your dad has just as much fun as B!

April said...

LOL, 'get your finger out of your nose' hahaha :-) i love the way you end it.

Not Your Aunt B said...

That's a sweet relationship they have minus the germs part. Maybe spray him down with lysol beforehand? I'm sure your dad doesn't mind the germs- it is worth the fun!

Ali said...

Oh so sweet. Nothing you can do about kids being little germ machines!

Stacy said...

Your son and your dad are lucky that you see their relationship as you do. My relationship with my grandmother was like that and my dad HATED it...hated that I didn't have that kind of relationship with his mother. Any time he wanted to punish me for something he took away my time with her.

Chimera said...

Awww Cuz,
That is so sweet and funny and so very true. Lovely post.
T xx

Annie said...

Um, the fact that your dad jumps on the bed with your son is the most adorable thing I've heard in a long time!!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing