Friday, December 5, 2008

Good Bye I'm A Leaving

I'm going away tomorrow for a whole week. I am so excited. I will miss you all but this has been a pretty intense year and a break sounds so good.

I am excited but still the little nagging travel worry bug is flying around my head whispering tales of plane trouble, crying babies and just plain travel worry.

I used to be a world traveler. I went to Egypt Israel, Zambia and Spain (among others) and all with a small backpack. I would pack an hour before I got a taxi to the airport. I would have no hotel booked for my arrival. I would land with a guide book and a vague idea of what I would be doing.

I remember riding a bus in Turkey with no idea which direction I was going in with no one who spoke English and a guide book that included the phrase I didn't do it please call the American Embassy (an important phrase indeed).

I remember landing in Egypt and realizing I had forgotten to pack underwear. Trying to buy panties in a Muslim country was an experience. I tracked all around Cairo's bazaars with a little piece of paper that read I have no panties in Egyptian written by the hotel desk clerk who got a good laugh of my predicament.

Now every facet of my trip is planned. I know which room Ill be in. Which deck chair I will use. How many feet it is from the bar to my room.

I pack lots of extra underwear and plenty of clean socks. I could open my own pantie bazaar for the packing impaired.

My guide books need only include the phrases Can I have another mud slide please and which way to the pool?

And yet that worry bug is still a flying. Crazy aint it?

36 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

How great! And a deck chair? Suzie's going on a cruise?! Heaven! Here's wishing you plenty of sunshine and a fun time had by all!
Becky

Erin said...

Have soo much fun and a drink for me!

Valarie Lea said...

Oh my gosh how fun!!! Where are you going????? Are the kids going????

And I can't believe you left your panties, or drawers as we call them down here at times :)!!!

Are you taking the books????

Erin said...

That sounds so exciting. You deserve it! Have a wonderful time.

Susan said...

Oh, I hope you have a wonderful time. You deserve it. Enjoy and relax.
Susan

Meg said...

Have fun. No panties required on a cruise.

Tales From the Eurovan said...

Have fun! You so deserve this! Stock up on sleep while you are gone. Will you blog from your trip? Post pictures, too!
Take care,
Julie

Ali said...

Have a fabulous time, I'm soooooo jealous!

Heidi said...

Have a fabulous time!!!!! I am so jealous! :)

Kmommy said...

Have a wonderful trip!! :) Don't forget to fill us in on all the gory details when you return!! ;)

Suzie said...

Nope no cruise. I did that once and hated it.

I'm going to Club Med where they watch your kids. Weeee!!!
I will be brining the Twilight books and I will not be blogging but I do have a post or two scheduled.

Have a great week!

IB said...

I can relate. The wife and I are going to Manhattan next week for a vacation and I'm completely stressed out about it; like it's a different country or something. Yeah, it's kinda different but for the most part I'll be able to buy underwear without much trouble should the need arise.

Have a good trip

IB

http://idiotsstew.blogspot.com

Adrienne said...

Have a wonderful time!

Kate said...

Have a fantabulous time! I hope you're going somewhere warm and sunny. :)

Queen-Size funny bone said...

have fun..save the worry for when you get home again.

Maggie said...

Have a great time and enjoy yourself!! You'll be missed!! =)

Debbie said...

Have a great trip. We'll be looking forward to hearing all about it.

Brooke said...

Have a great time! You deserve it! I have that same worry bug ever since I had kids! Didnt used to be that way! Have fun!

April said...

your travel adventures sound fantastic! have a wonderful time :-)

zipbagofbones said...

Oh my gosh, you lucky lucky girl. Have a fantastic time! I hope you're heading somewhere that requires sun block!

Not Your Aunt B said...

Have a fantastic trip! That is hilarious about the panties predicament. Made me laugh out loud.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun to me! Though I think I'd be nervous about anywhere that required me to know how to contact the embassy!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the week!

Just B said...

I liked the comments you left for martini mom about confused jews:) So I clicked my way to your blog and really liked it, too.

I also have lots of discussions in my house about the appropriate times and places to say the word poop. Sometimes my littlest just sits in the bathroom so she can say the magical word. poop. poop. poop.

Have a great trip and I will check your blog out next week!

Michele said...

As long as you know how many feet from your room to the bar, you will be fine. We brought our baby monitor with us and it was perfect. We could sit in the bar downstairs while August was sleeping and know if he was ok!

have an awesome time and don't think about work!

Vered said...

Have fun. I'll "see" you next week. :)

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Have a wonderful trip and week off!

Amy Plumb said...

When you were younger and traveled you only had to worry about "self", now you have three (including hubby) along for the ride. Plus age for some damn reason causes the worry bug to go off in the brain.

Hey, have a blast on your vacations and have a drink for me.

Unknown said...

Have fun and enjoy your much needed break!

kari and kijsa said...

Have a fabulous trip!!
blessings,
kari & kijsa

Anonymous said...

Have a great time.

April said...

You most definitely deserve it. Happy travels! (This'll be me in Jan., and I'm also very excited about it.)

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a great trip (and you enjoy reading Twilight - that sounds like perfect vacation reading!)

The Mrs. said...

have fun! you do deserve a break!

Tina said...

wow lucky you getting a break so close to christmas that is fab! hope you have a great time.

be sure to take loads of pics and let us know when your back x

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Have a wonderful time! You certainly deserve it!!!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing