Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hanukkah in the Up The Hill Backward House

Ive had many people ask me to describe a little bit about the Jewish Holidays and since its Hanukkah I thought I'd give it a go. I have lots of links if you want more information or recipes. So here it is Hanukkah in the Up The Hill Backward House:

Hanukkah is a holiday that takes place at night but in our house hold it goes on all day long. It starts out like this:

B if you don't unzip that suitcase and let Baby S out of there we are not having Hanukkah tonight!

B if you keep shrieking until Mommies ears bleed there will be no presents! Not one! No way! No Hanukkah for you!!

B that's! It I'm calling Daddy its all off!!! Now take that candle out of your sisters nose or that is really it! No Hanukkah and I mean it!!!!

When the evening finally rolls around everyone gets very excited. We put the candles in the menorah (The Hanukkah candle holder) and we let B choose the colors. B passes out the kepas (prayer caps) his has superman on it. I take out the family Siddur (prayer book) I received at my Bat Mitzvah from my Uncle Sauly. It looks very old and mysterious it had a metal cover and is covered in plastic jewels. We use the top candle to light the others B helps. I start the prayers. And as I begin we all take a breath... as B starts singing Christmas carols at the top of his lunges.

Threats begin again.

We settle down.

The candles are lit. We begin singing and dancing.

And then the cry heard religiously every night PRESENTS!!!! Present Time!!!!

Each child gets one present. Usually it is something small. Hanukkah presents are not big things just small little toys and traditionally the kids get money called gelt. We give them the chocolate kind and we only do that one night as my kids are scary on sugar.

We eat lots of fried food to celebrate the oil lasting in the temple for 8 nights. Ahh the Jews and our love of high cholesterol foods. We eat latkes (potato pancakes) and schnitzel (fried chicken cutlets) and end with sufganiot (jelly donuts). We also only do that one night as I am scary on fried foods.

Then its off to bed to begin saving up threats for another day.

23 comments:

Tay said...

i'm glad you shared. i hope you share about more of the Jewish holidays because i love hearing about them! In college i went to a Passover dinner my professor had (this was really only two years ago) and it made me wonder why i shouldn't celebrate it every year. It's a big deal, no? It was a great experience and really made me thankful to God for the many miracles in life.

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Very informative. I love latkes.

We do Christmas and I can't wait to start using the "if you don't stop xyz, Santa isn't going bring presents..." I use bribery a lot (or would this be blackmail?) - so it's nice when we can be festive about it.

Brooke said...

Sounds fantastic! Happy Hanukkah to you and your family!

Maggie said...

Thanks so much for sharing!! I enjoyed it, especially the threats - ha ha, thoroughly!! =)

zipbagofbones said...

That's a lot of information, I've always been totally clueless about Jewish holiday celebrations. I'm glad mine don't include jelly donuts though, as if I needed more of those in my life! Happy Hanukkah to you!

Laura said...

This good Catholic girl almost married Noah Adam Rosenstein. I fancy myself a Jew.

Chimera said...

Dang! Happy hannukah my dearest Cuz! I am off to Spain tomorrow but will have mobile!
Love
t xx

Erin said...

Happy Hanukkah!

momstheword said...

Thank you for sharing about Hanukkah. I am really clueless about it so appreciated hearing about some of the things you do.

BTW, I am scary on sugar too, lol!

About your comment about What Not to Wear: I know. The people always look so shocked. If it were me I'd be saying "What took you so long?" hehehe!

The Mrs. said...

have a very happy hanukkah! Thanks for the rundown, yours is the true picture of hanukkah. : ) It's nice to learn a few things, now I'm off to google the rest of the words to the dreidel song.

April said...

I heard a great line yesterday. Calling a baseball cap a yamika doesn't make it so!

Valarie Lea said...

I know you must get tired of being bombarded with all our Christmas stuff, but I love hearing about Hanukkah. I also love the fact that just like with us and Christmas the kids are more worried about the presents. One day when they all have children, they will get it. :)

maryt/theteach said...

Oh Suzie, I'm hysterical! "...let baby S out of the suitcase, there'll be no Hanukkah tonight!" Ha! I hope you save me some latkes and schnitzel. I LOVE them! Happy Hunukkah to you and the kiddies! :)

Veronica Foale said...

Thankyou for sharing. Now, not only do I know a little bit more about Hanukkah, but I am also giggling at your rendition of it!

I hope all your days are filled with candle free noses and well behaved children.

Debbie said...

Great Hanukkah post. Thanks for sharing with us. Will you also share some of that good fried food?

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, holidays.

Happy Hanukkah to you!

Adrienne said...

Threats are kind of a holiday tradition in our house, too.

Happy Hanukkah!

Anonymous said...

Happy Chanukkah to you!

My daughter younger daughter (13) picks out the colors on the menorah with even more intent than her outfits for school.

Not Your Aunt B said...

Thanks for sharing and Happy Hanukkah! Whats a holiday without some threats anyways?

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that. It was really interesting.

Happy Hanukkah!

Misty said...

I really enjoyed this glimpse into your Hanukkah celebration and oh how I love schnitzel! This sounds like a wonderful family time. (the whining and threatening cycle just add character to the Holiday!)

Erin said...

Thank you for the description of Hanukkah at your house. I love knowing I'm not the only one who saves up threats...

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing