Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Drug Store My Friend

I have always found the drugstore to be one of the most relaxing places in the world. Whenever I get stressed I go to my local drugstore and just walk the aisles. I walk past the sunny make up section and skip through the shiny racks of pain relievers and anti acids and I just feel calm and centered. I don't know why but I just do. When B was in the hospital I found the mother of all drug stores. It was the size of a foot ball field and had everything from mops to milk and eggs. It was a wonder. It made me happy if only for a brief and shining moment.

Lately my little patch of peace has been disturbed by a new and alarming trend, really young and obnoxious check put people. It started on Saturday. I went to buy toilet paper and I overheard this "I mean he's the youngest CEO ever like 40. And you know 40 is really really old so I'll never get a job like that." Suddenly the make up aisle wasn't so sunny any more and the packs of Advil didn't look so shiny. I nearly chucked my TP at her. I wanted to shout "I'm nearly 40 you twit! 40 is not old! I am not old!!!!!!! You Britney Spears wanna be!"

Sunday I went back hoping to regain a little of my peace the rude check out gal had taken from me but them I was assaulted with this:

18 Year Old Clerk #1: Everyone knows who she is!
18 Year Old Clerk #2: You are so wrong no way!
18 Year Old Clerk #1:Even this lady (points to me) knows who she is!
18 Year Old Clerk #2: There is no way THAT lady knows who she is!
18 Year Old Clerk #1: I'll bet you 10 bucks. (turns to me) Hey lady do you know who Kim Kardashian is?

WHAT THE????? No I'm sorry I only know Barry Manillow and Yani. Now let me pay for my support hose and stool softener and I'll be on my way. Arghhhhhh!!!!

What happened to you my little drug store, my haven, my friend? Why have you become the land of the annoying? Why must I wrestle with age issues as I walk your stocked beautiful aisles?

I guess I'll have to start hanging around vitamin shops now.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

ROFLMAO!

Anonymous said...

FUNNY! I too find the drugstore relaxing. I thought I was the only one.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I love the drugstore too. My favorite aisles are the one with magazines and the one with all the stuff advertised on TV--you know, the chia pets and those foot grater things.

Teenagers can be so clueless. Mine are always discovering the favorite music of my past and making comments about oldies. Grr.

Unknown said...

LOL! You can always tell their manager about their obnoxious behavior...LOL! ;)
I loved the drugstore of my hometown. It was that way for me...not so much in So Cal anymore. You've got a point there, it DOES all depend on who's working!

Brooke said...

Ha! Thats hilarious!

Kate said...

Yah, what IS is with teenagers these days? I mean, I was NEVER that obnoxious. :)

Mandy said...

I love wondering around the drugstore (and Wal-Mart) aimlessly too! These kids behavior is horrifying...they either don't realize how rude they're being or plain don't care!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! I appreciate it!:)

Michele said...

I remember talking to some young kids about records, and they looked at me like I had 4 heads. "Wow, you are old"--gaah!

Chimera said...

dad used to tell me stories about all the elderly ladies hooked on the kaolin and morphine that you could buy for 9pence. Ahhh those must have been the days..when it was alright just to stay legally bombed after 70 years old.
As you know i too love drugstores only I sometimes cry with all the choices i have to make. I can't cope with more then three brands at a time. Where's that kaolin and morphine bottle then?
T xxx

Lisa said...

Too funny!

I love me a good drug store. I would easily max out a credit card there if I could. Everything is so nice and neat and colorful. And it all screams for me to take it home.

Mama Smurf said...

LOL...either that or medical supply stores...

You can wander around the aisles stocked with TED Hose and portable commodes and you'll never hear a single sole comment on today's latest gossip....or your age....

=)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

The HELL? That's just all sorts of wrong, yet funny!

maryt/theteach said...

Suzie, I'm laughing - Bwahahahahahaha! Don't talk to, or walk near, young people! They are depressing! No Ruby Tuesday post? :(

Vered said...

Young people should be outlawed.

:-)

April said...

oh, i looooove the drug store. i totally steal away to the walgreens near our house. so far the employees are still nice. i really hope that doesn't change!!!

Debbie said...

I'm on my way over to pick you up. First, we're going to hunt down these young cretins and slap them. Then, we're going to hunt down their mamas and smack them too for not raising their fools to act better.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

I'm finding I am annoyed in general with todays kids in the customer service field. they don't have a clue.

Barb said...

I'm a Wally World kinda gal so I can't relate. Want to have some fun in a 'I'm way more smart than you' kinda way? Pay cash for something and after you hand him/her the paper money and he/she keys in the amount tendered, hand him/her $.27 or whatever will mean they have to give you back $8.25, etc.

Sit back and watch the deer-in-the-headlight expression and the smoke coming out their ears!

I know you're in the teaching business but please don't take this personally, Suzie (I have a nephew and niece-in-law who are teachers) Too many kids don't know how to think!

Angela K. Nickerson said...

Hysterical! You are just the kind of girl I'd like to invite you to amy blog party -- October 29. Here's a link with all of the details:

http://aknickerson.blogspot.com/2008/10/blogapalooza-october-29.html

I hope you can make it! You'd be a great addition to the crowd.

Cheers!
Angela
(a former teacher with advanced degrees, too)

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I always find my way to the pharmacy when Ivy is in hospital...there is just something about it that calms the nerves and I thought I was the only person in the universe who felt that way.
I don't like the sound of your assistants though. (rolls eyes) Youths today!

PS who is Kim whatsherface?

Adrienne said...

I like drugstores too. My mom and I used to escape there when things got nutty at home.
I don't know if I mind the surly teenaged clerks so much - what freaks me out is when my doctors start looking like they're about 16 years old.

Tales From the Eurovan said...

I would have made them give me the $10 bucks! I love drugstores, too. They have a good, clean smell to them.
Take care,
Julie

docgrumbles said...

I sure wish I DIDN'T know who she was!

Valarie Lea said...

1: I think the durg store is relaxing also. I think they pipe something in throught the vents, because I also end up spending way to much money.

2: Did you slap them for being so stupid?

April said...

I begrudgingly confess that I DO know who Kim Kardashian is - but I wish I didn't.
I always want to buy things I don't need at drug stores. And anyplace that has people - no relaxation for me.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing