Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I've Got Something To Tell You

Yesterday morning I forgot my cell phone. My wonderful hubby decided to drop my phone off for me at work. While he was there he was distant, removed, he wouldn't even step foot inside the door he just hovered around the outside of the room and held the phone out to me. It was very strange.

Later on during the day I received this IM

Hubby: Honey you there

me: yup

Hubby: I have something to tell you

Me: Uh oh OK

Hubby: Your office

It smells

bad

Me: WHAT???

Hubby: Yes, not at all fresh. It was sort of overwhelming.

Me: Oh my god really

Hubby: yes it stunk

I took a deep whiff. It smelt fine to me.

Me: Ok thanks

Hubby: Really bad

Horrified I went into a classroom and grabbing the first teacher I saw I asked her to join me in the office. She looking around scared waiting for the pink slip.

Sniff. I told her.

She did staring at me with wide eyes.

Does it stink?

She started to smile.

I didn't want to say anything but it really stunk this morning. Like poop. Like big old poopy diapers.

A teacher passing by chimed in.

Yeah it smelled really bad. Terrible.

I was horrified. What had happened how did this stink go unnoiticed by me? How did I work blissfully through the stink unaware of the stinky office I inhabited.

I wanted to yell it wasn't me! I didn't make the office stink! I wanted to blame my office mate. I wanted to point fingers. I wanted to protest to yell to shout to rage against the machine.

But instead I was faced with the awful truth

This morning my office

stunk

26 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I love how your sweet husband seemed so scared to tell you.
I live with a man with SUPERHUMAN smelling powers. It can be humiliating at times. And now my son is showing signs of the same superpowers! He begged for me to let him wear the gas mask from the dress up box to school the day they went apple picking. ("But Mom, it'll smell so apple-y!")

But you work in a school, right? You have a perfect excuse! It's those smelly children making your office so...fragrant!

And yes, we do have a gas mask in our dress up box.

Anonymous said...

Schools are stinky - the gym, the toilets,the kids after lunch with sweaty beady top lips, the classrooms - we teachers get used to it I think.I don't know what's worse, stinky or stuffy. Hubby's just in an alien environment, out of his olfactory depth.The other teachers are just gloating. Their turn next! Oh by the way, air fresheners, room deodorizers etc just add another layer.If the smell is a mystery I'd say just look for the egg sandwich abandoned in disgust and embarrassment in the corridor.

Barb said...

Ick. I hate stank.

Call the janitor/custodian. Do they still call it that?

LunaMoonbeam said...

Oh no!! Funny that you couldn't smell it....

Debbie said...

I wonder what stunk it up? Did you find the source? I feel for you. That is not a good experience.

IB said...

Damn funny!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I wonder what it was?? How funny that he waited and sent you a message. Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Too funny! Bet we know what they were talking about in the faculty lounge. ;)

Susan said...

I didn't read this post correctly (this happens often as you age) and I thought it was the cell phone that was stinky and that you were holding it up for everyone to smell. Then I thought you thought it was you and you were going up close to have people smell you. I am so confused. Where I used to work, about twice a year, the sewer trap would cause a pooh smell and I always got the looks because I worked up in that area. Maybe it's sewer gas backed up in the pipes.
Hope it gets better. Yikes.

Vered said...

haha don't feel bad, it happens. I totally believe you it wasn't you. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL Now you'll be giving it the sniff test every time you walk in!

Adrienne said...

How nice (and brave) of hubby to let you know.
Hope you get to the bottom of that funky mystery...

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Did one of your kids sneak a dirty diaper into your purse?

Valarie Lea said...

Yikes, did you find the stink yet?? That happened in my car once. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming from.

The Mrs. said...

any idea what the root of the funk is? I'm sure its not you : )

Anonymous said...

Interesting that your hubby didn't say anything. My very French Lion has no self-censorship. He would have stood in the door and said (and not the least bit quietly) "Tabanack! What stinks in here?"

Anonymous said...

Did he think you would hurt him, have him clean up your office until the stink was gone? Is that why he sent you a message?

Anonymous said...

Suzie don't feel bad. It's just that you've changed so many poopy diapers that now your nose hairs have been permanently singed, so you can't even smell the stink anymore.

Madge said...

your nose was just distracted.....

April said...

Awww, now that's love!

R Allen said...

I've been told that the older you get, the less able you are to smell things... I wouldn't know about that since I am still a perfectly fine olfactory-functioning, young girl.

Kmommy said...

Ewwww. I can't stand stink that you can't smell but everyone else can ;)

maryt/theteach said...

I guess, Suzie, moms get kinda used to such terrible smells... :)

April said...

oh no! i can remember having the stinky office on occasion... when i had an office. LOL. usually it was something in the garbage... sometimes though my boss thought it was funny to come in and rip one. uhg.

Vodka Mom said...

that was hysterical! My room stinks, but I blame the damn rabbit.

docgrumbles said...

Oh, like they've never had the stinky office!

When my office was between the restrooms (who puts an office there?) I always had a die-hard excuse... still, it didn't make people want to stop by an chat.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing