Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Beer Pong Dreams

This weekend I was walking with my hubby pushing my big red double stroller past a bar near our house called Porkies. In the window they were adverting a beer pong world championship. In case you (like me) have never heard of beer pong (you should totally be as ashamed as I that you do not know about this intellectually stimulating and dignified sport) here's a handy dandy definition:

Beer pong (also called beirut, lob pong, BP, etc.) is a drinking game in which players throw a ping-pong ball across a table with the intent of landing the ball in one of several cups of beer on the other end. When a ball lands in a cup, the defending team must consume all of the beer inside that cup. The game is won by eliminating all the other team's cups before all of one's own cups are eliminated. The losing team must then consume all the beer remaining in the winning team's cups.

Outside Porkies stood a young girl maybe twenty one or so. She was wearing a I'll pong for you hand made tee shirt. She had mascara smeared on her face and a big smile.

My husband taking a chance she was a beer pong finalist (he's smart like that) began to engage her in a run down of how her team was doing. As they chatted away about the awfulness of her teams ability to play beer pong and how astonished they were they were even in the illustrious beer pong finals I began to day dream.

(Que fuzzy screen and dreamy music)

I saw myself sitting in my dorm room with so much time on my hands I could hand draw my beer pong tee shirt. I saw myself gathering together my friends to practice our beer pong craft. Setting up cups and bouncing that pong pong ball. I saw my brow winkled in concentration. I saw my hand shake with determination as I ponged my ball to the waiting cups. I saw myself waking up on a lazy Sunday knowing the only thing I needed to do for the day was compete in the world beer pong finals!

For one shining moment my bills sat unopened. My children were not yet born. My hubby was just some dude I had yet to meet. I was a beer pong finalist and I rocked!

When suddenly a shout of "I gotta go potty!" shattered my pretty beer pong dream.

I was not a finalist I was a mommy and wife I had bills to pay butts to wipe and I didn't even own a ping pong ball.

Maybe next year.

24 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What a life! Let's see...there must be something we have that would make the beer pong girl jealous...
Hmmm.
There's...um.
Okay. Now I'm bummed.
Have a good day.
:)

zipbagofbones said...

Beer pong was new to me when I moved to MN. I've never played. Something about a dirty ball (which spends more time on the wet floor than on the table) landing in a cup of beer I have to drink...yeah, not for me. I'd rather just shotgun a few.

Anonymous said...

Yep. That sounds about right.

Debbie said...

I must be the weirdest woman in the world. Listening in on your day dream, I was thinking how much better your life is than hers.

Brooke said...

Ha! Beer pong, the good ole days...

Valarie Lea said...

Oh what we are missing....

Adrienne said...

Gee, you make it sound so glamorous, too!

Susan said...

Uhh, what?? Go get my walker, will you? I have no idea what you are talking about. I have been out of that scene for longer than I thought. Interesting... I think. Susan

Queen of Pith said...

Ah, and the time when Mommy and Daddy paid bills and sent you money that you spent on "books."

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I don't think you're missing anything. I hated drinking games. Probably because I was terrible at them.

Anonymous said...

I loved the dreamy state of self. There are days when I too could escape there, if only for a little while!

Unknown said...

You could ROCK the pong, I know you could.
You just have better things to do : )

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Beer pong is like the only talent my daughters boyfriend has. SAD...

Madge said...

we all have our dreams...

Anonymous said...

I was a heavy beer pong (we called it Beruit) player in college.

Trust me. You're not missing much. There's way better things to dream about.

Gray Matter Matters said...

I only learned about beer pong from watching "Greek" on ABC Family (which is awesome). All I can think about is "Oh God, the germs, that's so unsanitary! They don't know where that ball has been!" Yes folks, I am utterly unhip and mom-ish.

Erin said...

I have def played some beer pong in my life......
got pretty good.....
unsure if that is a good thing or a bad thing ; )

Mama Smurf said...

There are some dreams that are meant to remain dreams....for good reason....

=D

April said...

we played beer pong at a family reunion a couple of years ago... let me tell you it's still fun, but just not the same as when in college LOL. also played flip-cup... those are a couple things that have made it on the short list of 'things i never expected to do with my parents'

Ali said...

I think we all wish we had more beer ponging time.

Chimera said...

Finally a sport I could excel at! And remember you HAVE pong! Not beer but diaper and vomit and burnt lunch and scorched child posr firey tantrum.
T xxx

The Mrs. said...

wow you didnt know what it was? For once I was cooler? No way!

My brother had a beer pong table in his dorm room in college and my mother came home from a visit and was telling us how my brother and his roomates where taking up ping pong while studying. not quite mom...

Connie said...

Oh My Goodness. I have never heard of Beer Pong before but I was totally Beer Pong Girl for a very long time in my life. This life is way better!

April said...

I managed to do a lot before I had kids, but somehow I missed beer pong, too.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing