Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Now Thats Commitment

Warning The following post contains discussion about "womanly" "yucky" things.


Yesterday I had a GYN appointment (see I told you). I let my boss know and left before lunch. The office was filled with pregnant ladies and I spent my 45 minute wait contemplating having another baby. I think its something in the air there that causes temporary insanity because this morning I contemplated selling the two kids I already have on Ebay. Anyway I finally get into the examination room and they give me one of those horrible paper gowns. You know the ones that don't close in the back so you end up flashing anyone who enters the room.

The doctor comes in and tells me to scoot down to the end of the table when suddenly the phone rings.

I usually turn off my phone at the doctors I do. But recently there seems to be a rash of kid trouble. Things like B having meningitis or S having seizures. Its always something scary and new so I keep it on. I jumped up to grab my phone sure that B has been stung by a killer bee or S had been eaten by a wandering mountain lion. The caller ID said my work and since my kids go to school there I prepared myself for the worst feeling slightly relieved that I was across the street from the children's hospital just in case I had to make a mad dash run to their snake bite center.

I mean why else would they call? Who would call someone at the GYN office unless it was an emergency?

I answered the phone breathless with fear. And sure enough it was my boss , "Uh Suzie..." here it comes I thought, "The Department of Health is here. They need that paper work they sent you last week."

In disbelief I stutter ,"Umm I'm at the doctors right now. Cant this wait?"

"Hold on let me put them on with you."

And sure enough he handed the phone to the Department of Health Inspector while I Suzie was umm... otherwise indisposed.

That's right I spoke to the Department of Health while having an internal exam.

I think I need a raise.

25 comments:

Debbie said...

Now that is what I call dedication as well as phenomenal multi-tasking. What did the doctor do?

Unknown said...

ROFLOL! That is SOME multi-tasking you've got going on there, girl!

Brooke said...

Ha! Women are fantastic multi taskers arent they! Maybe I will have to try a phone call next time to take my mind off the other things!

Maggie said...

Too funny!! At least you had someone else to talk to besides the doctor. If he's like mine, there's way too much uncomfortable small talk going on during my exam. Just get down there and get your business done already, will ya?! =)

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Oh my goodness.
I do believe you deserve a raise!

Erin said...

Oh. My. Word. I can't decide if that is better than having the gyno talk to you about the weather while their head is down there.

Crazy! And yes, you DO need a raise!

zipbagofbones said...

THAT is just wrong. In so many ways. My god, maybe you could have teleconferenced to make it easier for them too!

M. Bail said...

That's just too funny. I think I would have died of embarrassment. Isn't it just like work to follow it's most dedicated employees wherever they go?! Thanks for the laugh. It made my morning!

Adrienne said...

My, that is commitment. I don't think you can use it on your resume, though.

Valarie Lea said...

Um Wow! That is what I call multi-tasking. :)

Michele said...

That is really funny! You are brave for answering the phone.
I just had an ob/gyn appt. as well--with 2 students and 1 midwife in the room, all 3 at my feet and uh, looking down there. And they were all making small talk with me. Fun times at the doctor!

Barb said...

Normally I would say that was above and beyond the call of duty, but in this case it was below and beneath! hahaha!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Now THAT'S what I call multi-tasking!

Amy Plumb said...

Only a women could handle a situation like that. I want to say hands down to you but it's more like legs up to you.

I needed a good laugh today. I hope you don't mind I got a laugh out of this.

Mama Smurf said...

That is by FAR the best gyno story I've ever heard! That even beats the "the doctor answered HIS cell phone and spoke on a PERSONAL call during the entire exam" story I recently heard on Oprah!

Seriously!

Thanks for the laugh!

Veronica Foale said...

Yes. I think you do.

Tina said...

i dont see the point of those stupid gowns!

i used to hate work phoning me so sometimes i didnt answer, then i would get called into the office for not answering lol

Kmommy said...

OMG! You soooo need a raise!

Anonymous said...

Oh...my...God...

I will never be that dedicated to my job. I swear.

Ali said...

OMFG. Seriously. How did you manage to keep it together? You definitely need a raise.

Vodka Mom said...

LMAO right now!!! That was hysterical!!!! I love it.
(big fat raise for sure!!!)

Lance said...

Yes, I think you've definitely earned that raise!

Forgetfulone said...

Only you, Suzie. I'm laughing my a** off!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Oh. my.

I'm just shakin' my head...poor woman you!!!

April said...

Wow, Suzie! Like the others I'm impressed with your dedication, but even more importantly, you should feel totally secure in your job. They can't even get through 2 hours without you!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing