Friday, June 6, 2008

24 Hours

When I was younger B.K. (Before kids) I traveled the world. I went to Turkey, Spain, Israel, Zambia. It was no problem for me. I would pack a carry on or a back pack and off I would go. I would survive on $20 a day staying in youth hostels and sleazy hotels. I loved to travel. I even learned how to say "I did not do it. Please take me to the American Embassy in Turkish."

Now getting two kids and one husband to a nice resort for a week is just an overwhelming task. S suddenly has developed a raging ear infection, B is miserable. Hubby is panicked and I am overwhelmed and ready to cry.

My one small case has turned into two huge cases and as many carry on's as my arms can hold. My sweet Hubby has more clothes in his suitcase than all of us combined.

I dont need any phrases in Turkish but I am sure I will use many other phrases such as sit down, stop that, no!!!!!!!!!! frequently.

The first time I traveled with B we sat down in our seats and a gentleman sat next to us wearing all WHITE!!!!!! I apologized in advance and as we took off I saw the look of horror on his face as green snot leaked out of my sons nose. B spent the flight with a spontaneous nose bleed that wouldn't stop. B cried and cried. When the man got off the plane (Somehow he was the first out) his white suit was streaked with peanut butter crayons and snot.

I am hoping hoping for a better trip this time. Just 24 more hours.....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, I don't mean to laugh at your pain, but this post was so funny! Every mother who has ever traveled with young kids can relate. I know it doesn't seem funny now, but someday it will. In the meantime, you might want to order an alcoholic beverage on the plane.

maryt/theteach said...

Oh Suzie, I wish I could sit next to you and help during the flight... then when we arrive at our beautiful vacation spot leave you there with hubby and the kids and disappear to a lounge on the beach and a gin and tonic! Ha! :D

Vered said...

Wow. I could have written this post (though it wouldn't come out so darn FUNNY).

I wish I could help. Consider this: I fly to ISRAEL, once a year, with a husband and 2 kids in tow.

And I am still here to tell you about it. :)

Once you get there, it WILL be fun and relaxing. I promise. Or at least hope it will!

Suzie said...

Vared-That does not sound like a fun flight! We are planning a trip to Israel in the near future too. Thankfully all the extended family will be along to help.

Teach- Please come along I'm sure we could fit you in our bag.

Heather- I'm planning for at least Bloody Mary during the flight!

Madge said...

oh my. the white suit is just killing me.

it really does get easier. wait until you can just plug them into video games for the whole flight. heaven.

Barb said...

Heads up, Suzie! The liquor onboard is a cash bar only, and it's $5 a drink. Just saying.

My parents did it with 8 kids and 2 grandparents who wouldn't be in the same room together. You have a PHD. You CAN do this. Totally! But in the event you want to trade, you can go to the office for me and I'll go on vacation for you. I'm the oldest of 8 and I can do EVERYTHING with a baby on my hip!

Suzie, all kidding aside, I hope you have the most wonderful time!

Stacey Olson said...

Girl, you haven't even left yet. CHILL out!! LOL .. I know what you mean though.. Just relax and remember why you are going.. and may I say NANNY??? lol
just kidding, I was speaking with a friend of mine one day about how my kids don't seem to appreciate wht they have and what we do with them.. and she looked me right in the eye and said. " they don't" it sunk in,, they don't now, but when it really matters later in their lives... they will... make the most of it.. You really will miss these moments too..trust me

Anonymous said...

I have a cousin who flies from Sand Diego to South Africa to visit her family with two kids in tow at least once a year. She is the yardstick by which I measure my travel success. Everytime I fly I think of her...

I had a trip 3 years ago with my youngest from West Virginia to California where I swore that Delta would beg me never to return.

I am feeling your anxiety. And I will pray :)

The Mrs. said...

ah traveling with small children! now i understand why my parents took us where they did... it was easy and fool proof.

I have to say we are that amarican family where now the only places we go are the grandparents and disney world. why? its just so damn easy. disney really is perfect for parents, i swear sometimes i think the mickey at the gate is going to offer the parents shots!

I know there is a whole world to see but i dont have it in me to show my kids just yet. flyboy and I are thinking about doing a european trip before number three. of course he's been EVERYWHERE except a few (and really its only a few) third world countries that I have no desire to see.

postacademic said...

Dude, you're already on route! Good luck...

Texasholly said...

OH NO. Funny how kids change perspectives. It is just a different kinda survival adventure. Have fun!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing