Monday, June 23, 2008

Prickers and Mole

Last night we all went out to meet my sister in law's new boyfriend. We took the kids and went to this fancy Mexican restaurant. It was fun but of course after an hour B's foot was in the guacamole and S was spitting Cheerios across the table. In short they had had it. I started shoveling the chicken mole down my throat as fast as I could knowing I would have to run out in the next few minutes. I'm sure I really impressed him with chocolate sauce all down the front of my shirt (yes we are a very classy family).

B walked into another section of the dining room and emerged a few minutes later and announced he wanted to go home and go to bed. I was stunned never has that child uttered those words. I put the kids in the stroller packed up my two tons of toys, extra clothes, food, sippy cups and all the other accoutrement's ones needs to take children into a restaurant for an hour and left.

As we got down the block B holds up his hands and says my hands hurt. I looked at his hands and they were completely covered in cactus prickers. I guess when he went into the other room he grabbed a cactus and was too scared to tell anyone. We sat on the street where the sunlight was the best and for the next 40 min I picked cactus quills out of my poor sons hand with a tweezer. The best spot for the sunlight was in front of this very trendy gay club. By the time my husband arrived to help there were about 5 very scantly clad gay men surrounding the stroller throwing out ideas for cactus quill removal. My husband thought for some reason you should pee on it. I reminded him that was for jellyfish and not for cactus quill removal. It was all very surreal.

Poor B were still finding stickers this morning. I guess the best I can say for that experience is at least he didn't sit on it and I am sure it is something he'll never do twice....well at least not three times...well hopefully he'll learn

16 comments:

Stacey Olson said...

LOL poor baby. both my children have had bad experiences with cactus at about that age. Prickly pear grow wild here in wonderful Wyoming and can be very vicious to little ones.. We were out hiking with my oldest when he was about 2/3 yrs old and he decided to get independant and jerked his hand away and fell into a patch on his hind end.. Poor child, It had to be very painful.. and out youngest (6yrs later) at the same age was out with Daddy and fell into a patch with Both hands..Was bad enough I called the hospital to see what to do....They both servived(wink) and amazingly they now are very adapt at walking through cactus covered country side...
LOL your husbands idea was classic.. Have a great week.

Kristen said...

Oh, you are living my life girl, except there aren't any gay clubs in my suburbs! And you had tweezers? See, you are a great mom and so prepared! I'm going to stick some in my diaper bag!

maryt/theteach said...

Suzie, I drew in an audible breath when I read he had the cactus stickers in his hands - THE POOR BOY! All I can say that kids in NYC don't usually have that problem! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! The poor baby--can you imagine how much that hurt?

The image I got in my head when you were describing pulling out the stickers, with all the gay guys standing around shouting out suggestions...well, let's just say that was a scenario I had never imagined before.

Vered said...

Poor kid! That must have hurt.

That scene with the gay club... you made me laugh out loud so thank you. :)

Forgetfulone said...

Poor little guy. And poor, exhausted mom, too.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

You are hilarious.
And your poor little sweetheart! I hope he's all quill free and feeling better now!
Your husband sounds funny! Where do men get these weird ideas? Must be the left over 5th grader boy in them that needs to find a purpose for pee.

And I love that the clubbing guys were ready to help. Very sweet.

Rebecca Ramsey said...

PS. Hope you don't mind, but I added you to my blogroll.

(I feel like a little girl--do you want to be my friend? Check yes or no.)

twinkle teaches said...

Aw, poor baby! This happened to my little brother once only the cactus was in our backyard (why my parents planted it I will never know!).
Tina
P.S. I have a small giveaway on my blog! :)

Madge said...

I'm so sorry I'm laughing so hard. Poor baby. He sounds like my Dave -- coming out and saying he wants to go to bed, but not saying exactly WHY he wants to go to bed.

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor thing!! I have never had a cactus experience, and I hope to never have one.

Um, just out of curiosity - was your husband going to pee on B's hands???

Anonymous said...

Suzie, there is true art to your storytelling.

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Oh mah lordie...

You KNOW something's up when a kid tells you he wants to go home and go to bed!!! So funny. Hope you got the quills all out!

The Mrs. said...

Isnt it bizarre how kids, despite the pain or how loud mom yells, will probably still do it again. and again. and again. I hear they outgrow that at oh 24.

Suzie said...

I read on line if you pour elmers glue on the site and peel it off all the prickers will come out too. I didn't do that but its a great idea. Hopefully i will never have to use that knowledge but I doubt it. And yes my husband was going to pee on his hands my son also thought it was a great idea. I put a stop to it though. Those crazy guys! I think Rebecca was right its one of those 5th grade men things.

Kmommy said...

Oh my goodness!! Yes, when children say they want to go to bed, want to take a shower or change their clothes... chances are they've gotten into something! :( poor boy!

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing