Thursday, April 17, 2008

Those Crazy Little Fish Balls

Tomorrow night is Passover and I am taking the train with S and B today to go see my parents. Every year before I go I ask if they need anything and each year they always need gefilte fish. Gefilte fish if you've never had it is a slimy gelatonous ball of ground fish. I guess it is an acquired taste I've actually come to sort of like it . This slimy snot like food is very very popular among Jews and is very popular at Passover. Sort of like trees at Christmas only gooey gross mashed up tree balls.

So for some reason in all of Philadelphia there is no gefilte fish. Apparently Philly is suffering from a huge gefilte fish draught that has been going on for years. Each year after an extensive search through the markets of Philadelphia my mother gives up and asks me to bring it up from New York (aparently home to huge schools of the wild magestic gefilte fish). Each year I go and get these oozing fish balls and lug the things up to my parents house.

So yesterday I asked my mother if she needed some gefilte fish. Suddenly my sweet gentle mother was replaced with a frenzied crazy lady. "What? Gefilte fish? Do you know how much I have to do? I'm not buying any gefilte fish! Philly does not have gefilte fish. (her voice becomes shrill)I mean where in Philly can you buy it? (shriller still) How can I think about gefilte fish when the families coming over? (Now only dogs can hear her)I mean you've got to be kidding me gefilte fish what are you crazy?"

"I know mom I was going to bring it like I do every year."

"Oh...ok then."

I think that is what we call the annual gefilte fish breakdown. Happy Passover.

9 comments:

Barb said...

Sorry, am I laughing too loudly? My mother may not be Jewish, but there's a certain brand of crazy that seems to attach itself to a woman once she gives birth! I moved my parents in with me 2 years ago. She calls me at the office everyday, about 5 times a day, to ask if I want 'whatever' for dinner, then she calls again later to see if I want whatever kinds of veggies with it... and so on and and so on....

Everyday. Same calls.

Despite the fact that I have told her countless times that I will eat whatever she wants to cook!

Chimera said...

Oy vey...gefilite fish. yeargh. Love the video of Sophie! She is soooo luverly.
T xxxxx

Texasholly said...

Oh, I am so glad there are crisis out there that I don't participate in! Is it wrong of me to enjoy your pain?

Gerbil said...

heh. when i got married, my norwegian lutheran friends have me lutefisk, which seems to be very similar to gefilte fish... because, they said, every happy marriage should start off with lutefisk.

DC has plenty of gefilte fish but no doubt NY gefilte fish is superior.

although thats very odd that Philly is gefilte-free.

Stacey Olson said...

LOL, and you make this stuff sound so appatising. I bet I can't find anyone here that has ever even heard of it.(wink) living in the boonies has it's advatages. Just wanted to stop by and thank you for your wonderful comments on my photo blog. Greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful passover and you can keep your slimmy geletonous ball of fish lol

The Mrs. said...

Well we all have our holiday traditions! I'm not Jewish so our big holiday tradition doesnt revolve around gefilte fish so instead ours is usually midway thru the meal someone gets upset at someone else and ends up storming away from the table crying. Those left behind try to go on as if the incident didnt happen while my brother usually just laughs.

Ah the memories.

Forgetfulone said...

I've been meaning to add you to my blogroll, and now I have! Have a great weekend.

Kristen said...

Oh, that is too funny. Thanks for the laugh. Happy Passover.

Madge said...

holiday stress -- it's universal.

 
template by suckmylolly.com : background by Tayler : dingbat font TackODing